By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college kids and academics of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and entire in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from essentially the most unique modernist students on each side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on components of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic pursuits, and all of the genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been observing God
- Pays shut recognition to either British and American modernism
Read Online or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
James Joyce and Nationalism comprehensively revises our figuring out of Joyce via re-examining his writing opposed to Irish Nationalism. during this intriguing and provocative booklet, Emer Nolan appears on the dating among modernism and nationalism, tracing the applicability of different notions of nationalism to a few of the stages of Joyce's paintings.
If modernism begun within the magazines, as Robert Scholes and Clifford Wulfman argue, then the examine of contemporary tradition may still commence with those guides. Scholes and Wulfman’s appreciably inclusive strategy not just considers the “little” modernist magazines along the “big” or mass magazines usually brushed aside as antithetical to modernism’s elite tradition, but in addition insists that students needs to examine their contents as a whole—from poetry to advertising—to delight in their complete importance.
Asa poet and literary critic, Thomas MacGreevy is a valuable strength in Irishmodernism and a very important facilitator within the lives of key modernist writers andartists. the level of his legacy and contribution to modernism is published forthe first time within the existence and paintings of Thomas MacGreevy. Splitinto 4 sections, the quantity explains how and the place MacGreevy made hisimpact: in his poetry; his function as a literary and artwork critic; in the course of his timein Dublin, London and Paris and during his relationships with James Joyce,Samuel Beckett, Wallace Stevens, Jack B Yeats and WB Yeats.
This enticing learn returns to a very notable 12 months, the yr during which either Ulysses and The Waste Land have been released, during which the good Gatsby used to be set, and through which the Fascisti took over in Italy, the Irish loose kingdom used to be born, the Harlem Renaissance reached its top, Charlie Chaplin's reputation crested, and King Tutankhamen's tomb used to be came across.
- Consciousness in Modernist Fiction: A Stylistic Study
- Consuming Visions: Cinema, Writing, and Modernity in Rio de Janeiro (New World Studies)
- Modernist Women Writers and Spirituality: A Piercing Darkness
- Committed Styles: Modernism, Politics, and Left-Wing Literature in the 1930s (Oxford English Monographs)
- History of a Shiver: The Sublime Impudence of Modernism
Additional info for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar